Republican Hypocrisy: Balancing the budget on the backs of the 9/11 first responder community

Luis Alvarez funeral:  in the picture are Jon Stewart activist – former host of the Daily Show and U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-New York salute the casket of retired NYPD detective Luis Alvarez as it is brought into Immaculate Conception Church on July 3, 2019, in the Queens borough of New York City.

 

9/11 first responder advocate Jon Stewart blasted Rand Paul after the senator blocked a vote to permanently reauthorize the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund. The fund provides financial assistance for first responders suffering from 9/11-related medical issues.

Despicable Rand Paul prevented the Senate from voting to approve the bill through unanimous consent, citing its cost. Paul whined: “It has long been my feeling that we need to address our massive debt in the country,” Paul, a Libertarian Republican from Kentucky, said on the Senate floor. “And therefore any new spending … should be offset by cutting spending that’s less valuable. We need to at the very least have this debate.” This after the hypocrite voted in favor of over a trillion dollars in a tax cuts for the rich and entitled.

“Pardon me if I’m not impressed in any way by Rand Paul’s fiscal responsibility virtue signaling,” Stewart retorted.

Stewart called the move “absolutely outrageous.” He  added, “Rand Paul presented tissue paper avoidance of the 1.5 trillion tax cut that added hundreds of billions of dollars to our deficit and now he stands up at the last minute after 15 years of blood, sweat, and tears from the 9/11 community so that it’s all over now, now we’re going to balance the budget on the backs of the 9/11 first responder community.”

Fellow freedom caucus Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah also placed a procedural hold on the legislation, further preventing it from passing in the Senate.

Mike Barasch, managing partner of Barasch McGarry, a law firm that represents roughly 15,000 first responders and survivors of the 2001 attacks including many who testified before Congress, told CBS that he met with Paul and Lee’s staff before the vote and were “assured” that while the two Republicans wouldn’t vote for the bill, they also wouldn’t block the bill from passage.

“This is so hypocritical for them to be now saying we are worried about the deficit when both voted in favor for the tax cut,” said Barasch. “This is a moral obligation, Congress must pass this bill.”

The newest roadblock came just hours before yet another first responder, Kevin Nolan, died from cancer that was diagnosed in the wake of the attacks on September 11th, CBS New York reported. A retired firefighter, Nolan was a member of Engine Company 79 and was among the thousands working at Ground Zero immediately after the terror attacks.

Barasch said that two of his own 9/11 first responder clients also died Wednesday night from similar cancers related to the terror attacks. In total, 200 firefighters have died as a result of illnesses sustained in the wake of the attacks.

“It is almost incomprehensible that after losing 343 members on September 11, we have now had 200 more FDNY members die due to World Trade Center illness. These heroes gave their lives bravely fighting to rescue and recover others. We will never forget them,” FDNY Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said in a statement to CBS News.

The recent deaths come more than a month after Stewart’s gripping testimony before Congress, in which he shouted at lawmakers and called them “shameful” for their lack of interest in funding the bill.

The bill, which overwhelmingly passed the House last week, was re-named after first responders who had passed away from health complications related to the 2001 attacks, including Luis Alvarez, who died of cancer earlier this month.

Alvarez, a former NYPD detective and 9/11 responder, testified before the House panel alongside Stewart shortly before his death.

“This fund isn’t a ticket to paradise, it’s to provide our families with care,” Alvarez said. “You all said you would never forget. Well, I’m here to make sure that you don’t.”

Bill co-sponsor Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, has since implored Senate Majority Leader McConnell to hold a stand-alone vote on the fund tomorrow sometime Thursday without attaching it to any other legislation.

Evil Lord of the Senate, Mitch McConnell will bring it to the floor for a vote next week but we expect there will be strings attached to it or a poison pill amendment.

 

Sources: CBS, FOX, AP

Advertisements

The fans of the Non-Sequitur comic strip need to make Marc Valles feel your pain

For many fans of David Wiley Miller’s “Non Sequitur” comic strip, their first reaction is “I’ll cancel my subscription”. We understand, but this won’t be a very effective step because the paper isn’t really directly financially supported by subscriptions, Advertising is what directly funds the paper but by organizing a boycott against the advertisers you will get Valles attention fast.

Contact the advertisers directly and let them know you’ll be making a different purchasing choice because of the political censorship employed by the Times-Standard

Valles hasn’t been shy about owning his censorship but he’s not being completely truthful “I pulled the plug myself”. “And I didn’t do it because Miller was signaling his distaste for Trump.” “This isn’t about politics” Really? Sure sounds like politics to us. To claim it was about an illegible little F-bomb hidden in a little Easter egg that could barely even be seen with a magnifying glass is clearly just an excuse.

 

 

Another F-ing egotistical billionaire steps up to take on the Jill Stein “Russian useful idiot” mantle

The former Starbucks chief executive Howard Schultz, a billionaire, confirmed on Sunday he could run for president as a “centrist independent”.

Leading figures in the Democratic party slammed the “half-baked idea” and warned he could split the vote, handing the White House right back to Trump in 2020. (OMFG!)

Schultz responded to such concerns both on CBS on Sunday night and in telling Axios he knew he was “going to create hate, anger, disenfranchisement from friends, from Democrats” but was convinced he was doing the right thing.
(it’s a right thing all right, playing right into the hands of the rightwing)

“I am seriously thinking of running for president,” Schultz, 65, said in a CBS 60 Minutes interview trailing a book launch in New York on Monday. “I will run as a centrist independent, outside of the two-party system.”

Schultz said Trump – another rich businessman, but one who sought the nomination of an established party – “is not qualified to be the president”.
(But of course, Schultz’s giant ego says Schultz is)

Trump, an avid TV watcher, on Monday morning, taunted and baited Schultz to run.  “Howard Schultz doesn’t have the ‘guts’ to run for president!” he wrote on Twitter. “Watched him on @60Minutes last night and I agree with him that he is not the ‘smartest person.’ Besides, America already has that! I only hope that Starbucks is still paying me their rent in Trump Tower!”

Third-party candidates remain a divisive issue. The role of Ralph Nader in the 2000 election won by George W Bush remains fiercely debated. In 2016, Green candidate Jill Stein and Libertarian Gary Johnson attracted hundreds of thousands of votes in states Trump won by slim margins, giving him the presidency in the electoral college despite defeat in the popular ballot.

Two other billionaires, Tom Steyer, and Michael Bloomberg have considered presidential runs. Steyer will not run, choosing to focus on his push for Trump’s impeachment. If Bloomberg runs it will be within the Democratic party.

On Sunday Julián Castro, the former housing secretary who is a declared candidate for the Democratic nomination told CNN’s State of the Union Schultz would “make an impression on the race” and said he was concerned “it would provide Donald Trump with his best hope of getting re-elected”.

The people most favorably disposed to a Schultz presidential run are the ones who want to see Trump re-elected!
Matthew Gertz, a fellow at the nonprofit Media Matters for America, noted conservative enthusiasm for a Schultz run and wrote: “It should surprise no one that the people most favorably disposed to a Howard Schultz independent presidential run are the ones who want to see Trump re-elected.”

Edited from The Guardian

Well, we know this self-important idiot can expect lots of help from Trumps BFF Vladimir Putin

This week’s dumb ass award goes to……….the City of Eureka

 

Ugly green chemical flowing into the bay near the Somoa Bridge – Photo by Doug Neusbaum via RHBB

Yesterday afternoon people were starting to get pretty worried about the bay went reports started coming in about a green liquid that looked a lot like antifreeze was flowing into the bay and moving along the shoreline for several hundred yards. Some observers noticed that it was heavier than water so most of it was on the bay bottom. Just before dusk, the Humboldt Bay fire’s Hazmat team showed up and the Coast Guard was called as well it was being to look like a pretty serious toxic spill with potentially far-reaching impacts.

After a few tense hours, it was revealed that the green liquid substance was not a potent toxicant but a less harmful green dye. It turns out that the brilliant minds at the City of Eureka were doing some dye testing of stormwater and sewer systems.

Oops! They forgot to let any of us know.

We can’t prove it yet, but we seriously suspect our “favorite” Eureka official Miles Slattery had a hand in this

This weeks delusional Dumb-ass award goes to Trump and his loony friends at FOX news

Lyin’ ass Trump retweeted a completely false claim from Charlie Kirk that some protesters in France had chanted “We want Trump.”……………………That never happened.

Tucker Carlson agreed with the claim of his guest that feminists are trying to “disappear males” from the planet.

Fox & Friends lauded Trump’s pick of former Fox anchor Heather Nauert as UN ambassador, saying that she is “very smart.” (She thought D-day was the high point of US-German relations)

Laura Ingraham went on an off the wall crazy rant about the left, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and child pornography (she really scares us)

Ingraham compared people who protest Confederate statues to ISIS.

Fox guest and GOP Rep. Louis Gohmert went on an anti-Semitic rant about George Soros that the Fox host later tried to distance the network from.

Lou Dobbs called climate change a UN plot. (of course, he did)

A Fox host complained that people who rely on government programs like food stamps don’t feel enough shame.

Sebastian Gorka called the Democratic Party “fundamentally un-American.” (he would know)

NRATV said that coverage of school shootings contributes to “the wussification of America.”

from Media Matters

 

Once again Dumb-ass Donny embarrasses the country with his callous ignorance

Malibu Evacuated as Woolsey Fire Rages

Just like last year’s Santa Rosa wildfire, there are no forests to manage near Malibu! Trump is just criminally ignorant. He insults the brave firefighters and has no empathy for the dead or the people who have lost everything!

Here’s what dumbass Donny said on Twitter:

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

Governor-elect Gavin Newsom responds:

Lives have been lost. Entire towns have been burned to the ground. Cars abandoned on the side of the road. People are being forced to flee their homes. This is not a time for partisanship. This is a time for coordinating relief and response and lifting those in need up.

California Professional Firefighters President Brian K. Rice issued the following statement following the President’s tweet.

“The president’s message attacking California and threatening to withhold aid to the victims of the cataclysmic fires is Ill-informed, ill-timed and demeaning to those who are suffering as well as the men and women on the front lines.

At a time when our every effort should be focused on vanquishing the destructive fires and helping the victims, the president has chosen instead to issue an uninformed political threat aimed squarely at the innocent victims of these cataclysmic fires.

At this moment, thousands of our brother and sister firefighters are putting their lives on the line to protect the lives and property of thousands. Some of them are doing so even as their own homes lay in ruins. In my view, this shameful attack on California is an attack on all our courageous men and women on the front lines.

The president’s assertion that California’s forest management policies are to blame for catastrophic wildfire is dangerously wrong. Wildfires are sparked and spread not only in forested areas but in populated areas and open fields fueled by parched vegetation, high winds, low humidity and geography. Moreover, nearly 60 percent of California forests are under federal management, and another two-thirds under private control. It is the federal government that has chosen to divert resources away from forest management, not California.

Natural disasters are not “red” or “blue” – they destroy regardless of party. Right now, families are in mourning, thousands have lost homes, and a quarter-million Americans have been forced to flee. At this desperate time, we would encourage the president to offer support in word and deed, instead of recrimination and blame.”

California Professional Firefighters represents more than 30,000 frontline firefighters and paramedics in California.

Trump’s DPRK “used car deal” doesn’t even make it off the car lot before the engine falls out

After all the self-congratulations and sycophant’s compliments, following Trump’s poorly planned meeting with the North Korean (DPRK) ruler Kim Jong Un.  Big Suprise! There is no deal! There never was.

In many ways, this debacle is much worse than the George W. Bush “Mission Accomplished” humiliation.  The ramifications of this disaster will potentially lead to an all-out conflict that could lead to the use of nuclear weapons

Right after his reckless meeting in Singapore with Kim, Trump unilaterally declared North Korea will keep its promises, and the US will stop war games with no real evidence to support his retreat.

Trump said he and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un “had a terrific day.””We learned a lot about each other and about our countries,” Trump says, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the North Korean dictator. All I can say is they want to make a deal.”Trump also says the U.S. will be stopping the war games it conducts near North Korea.

So now, we are today and North Korea’s foreign ministry expressed disappointment in the U.S.’s continued demands for complete and verifiable denuclearization following talks with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

North Korea’s foreign ministry expressed disappointment in the U.S.’s continued demands for complete and verifiable denuclearization following talks with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, adding to concerns over Pyongyang’s commitment to dismantling its nuclear arms.

“We had expected that the US side would offer constructive measures that would help build trust based on the spirit of the leaders’ summit … we were also thinking about providing reciprocal measures,” an unnamed spokesman of Pyongyang’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement carried by the North’s official Korean Central News Agency.

“However, the attitude and stance the United States showed in the first high-level meeting (between the countries) was no doubt regrettable,” the DPRK spokesman said.